Sant'Angelo a Scala
The town of Sant'Angelo a Scala rises on the slopes of Mount Vallatrone 560 meters above sea level on the northwestern slope of the Partenio Mountains in the province of Avellino in the Campania region of Italy. Dominated by a rocky spire on which a small fort was built in the second half of the 11th century, the village is first mentioned in the year 1030. The small fort became the scene of numerous battles throughout the Middle Ages. The Count of Monteforte William Carbone managed to conquer with his armigers in 1113 the manor, where some lords of Lombard stock were then living. A few years later, in 1160, Roger II the Norman donated the castle to Richard de Aquila. After brief enfeoffments the manor passed to the d'Aquino family in 1345, to the count of Maddaloni Diomede Carafa in 1466, and in 1615 until the subversion of feudality it belonged to the Salvo family.